Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Let's Get Some Spit Crackin'

That's what Hermana Clark said one day this week when we were getting ready to leave to go to work. We're still trying to figure out how to crack spit, but we've decided it's definitely one of our good qualities. The weird things like that are what make me love my companion, haha. And how she doesn't mind my huge, frumpy, "I've been on a mission for over a year and I don't care what I look like any more" clothes.
We're still trying to find new people... we found a nice girl named Antonela this week and we're hoping and praying that she progresses.
We've been working a lot with less-active members and one of them actually came to church! (That is something that has never happened so far on my mission, a less-active person comes back because of my efforts as a missionary. It probably means that I'm just a bad missionary and need to learn better how to work with inactive people.) Estela Maris has been going through a lot of rough times in her life and has started to drink again a little (she's an alcoholic and almost drank herself to death before she was baptized 10 years ago), but she doesn't want to fall back into those bad habits so she's been reading the Book of Mormon and praying and coming to church! This Sunday her
1.5 year-old son will be getting a baby blessing from the branch president so we're pretty excited about that.
Some hilights this week were when Hermana Detlefsen's mom didn't understand lactose intolerance. She asked me what the disease I had was called that I couldn't eat anything with lactose and wanted to know if there was a cure. I told her no, that it was like an allergy, but she still didn't really get it and told us about how her daughter couldn't have fried stuff once because of her stomach but that she'll pray for me that I can get over it. Later in the week, Victor (a recent convert) told me that my husband is going to be a very special man with a unique sense of humor... so that he can understand mine.  Basically everyone here just thinks I'm crazy and I have some weird milk-disease. I'm sure when I'm gone they'll say, "What ever happened to that one who couldn't have milk? I wonder if she ever found someone as crazy as she is to marry her..."
Despite all the setbacks, the work keeps moving on! Hermana Clark and I keep working ourselves to death to bring the gospel to the people who need it (which is everyone). Thank you for all your prayers and support. I know that Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers. He won't always answer them how we want Him to, but that doesn't mean He isn't answering them. He loves us and knows what we need (more than just what we want) and He will help us return to His presence.

Have a great week!

Love,
Hermana LaPray

No comments:

Post a Comment